With 29 years’ experience of working on projects with people in the private, public and voluntary sectors, Mel Richardson established Mel Richardson Consultancy in 2015.
Mel is results-orientated, an excellent communicator and possesses strong project management skills coupled with the ability to prioritise tasks and work efficiently to meet deadlines. She is passionate about working with people to move projects forward to successful outcomes and in 2010, won an award for her partnership working.
Living in Truro, Mel has played an integral role in the economic landscape of Cornwall through the following:
- Managing the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) launching the LEP in 2011 as a not for profit company limited by guarantee and establishing it as key private sector led strategic economic partnership by working closely with the chairman and non-executive directors.
- Developing three Business Improvement District (BID) Schemes, in Truro, Falmouth and Newquay and guiding Camborne in the early stages of their first term BID development. These BIDs have generated hundreds of thousands of pounds of additional investment that private businesses now manage in line with their priorities.
- Working with BID Camborne and Truro BID in 2017 to successfully renew their Business Improvement Districts for second and third terms respectively.
- Working with British BIDs, the membership body for Business Improvement Districts. From 2008 to 2012, Mel served on the British BIDs Advisory Board. She is now a British BIDs Accreditation Auditor. Read her September 2016 blog at http://www.britishbids.info/blog/ and visit http://britishbids.info/our-services/accreditation/
- Working with the Public Protection team at Cornwall Council helping to shape their regulatory offer to businesses publicprotectioncornwall.co.uk and assisting with ‘Cornwall Better Business for All’ partnership. https://www.ciosgrowthhub.com/better-business-for-all/ which won the Government’s Best Partnership Award in 2016.
- Assisting local regeneration groups through the preparation of successful funding bids resulting in some great community projects.
- Supporting Cornwall Voluntary Sector Forum to foster stronger links between the private and voluntary sector for mutual benefit.
Mel also spent a year based at St Austell Brewery recruiting licenses onto British Institute of Inn-keeping courses, a role that involved daily pub crawls. Her early career was spent in the tourism industry primarily in the Midlands.
Mel is currently working with the St Austell BID team who have been delivering tangible benefits to the town since 2013. St Austell comes to the end of its first term at the end of March 2018 and will be going to the ballot ahead of this in December 2017.
Mel is currently supporting Kings Heath BID with their third term renewal and ballot due in February 2018.
Mel is a volunteer for Fredericks Foundation (http://www.fredericksfoundation.org/) a charity and Community Development Finance Institution that prides itself on helping people who have a viable business proposition but cannot obtain mainstream finance.