Expertise in BID development and delivery
Mel Richardson has a proven track record of Business Improvement District (BID) development and BID renewal in Cornwall and has undertaken accreditation audits for BIDs across England:
- Developed Cornwall’s first Business Improvement District Schemes in Cornwall from the outset with the formation of steering groups through to successful ballots and post ballot support . Extensive experience of business engagement at all levels from independent shop owners to directors of corporate organisations.
- Developed Totally Truro BID, now into its third term, delivering a range of additional services and initiatives all designed to raise the profile of the city, attract more visitors and encourage them to explore all its facilities. Amongst the projects Truro BID has delivered are a spectacular Christmas lighting scheme and a range of events often attracting audiences of up to 25,000. For more information visit www.trurobid.co.uk
- Developed successful BID scheme in Falmouth in 2009 which started a second five year term in 2014 with a strong mandate from businesses – 87% of businesses who voted wanted the BID to continue demonstrating the BID had delivered the projects that businesses wanted and established Falmouth as a strong and vibrant visitor destination. For more information visit www.falmouth.co.uk
- Developed successful BID scheme in Newquay in 2011 which has subsequently created a new town brand and image and five year marketing strategy reinvigorating the resort’s visitor appeal as well as funding events and physical enhancements in the town. Newquay BID has now started its second term. For more information visit www.newquaybid.co.uk
- Undertook feasibility study into the viability of Helston BID in 2015 by undertaking research into the business appetite for a BID to proceed in the town, the amount that could be raised via a BID within a set boundary and analysis of the likelihood of success.
- Worked with BID Camborne on their BID renewal which was approved at the ballot in December 2016 and started in April 2017. To find out more go to http://www.cambornecando.co.uk/
- Worked with St Austell BID on their renewal which was approved at ballot in December 2017. For more information go to http://staustellbid.co.uk
- Worked with Kings Heath BID on their renewal which was approved at ballot in February 2018. For more information go to http://enjoykingsheath.com
- Worked with Truro BID on their BID renewal which was approved at the ballot in July 2017 for Oct 2017 to Sept 2023.
- Undertaken BID accreditation audits via British BIDs for Norwich, InSwindon, Ipswich, Swansea, Newcastle Under Lyme, Watford, and Milton Keynes, see https://britishbids.info/services/accreditation
- Advised Newquay BID on governance issues.
- Worked with Falmouth BID on their renewal, approved at ballot in December 2018.
- As Newham BID Manager, secured a yes vote for a second term of Newham BID in July 2018.
- Worked with Digbeth CIC to explore the feasibility for a BID in Digbeth, Birmingham. See www.custardfactory.co.uk
Mel Richardson Consultancy can provide the following:
- BID feasibility and advice
- BID renewal
- BID development from conception to ballot
- Technical BID support including governance and baseline agreements
- BID draft and final Proposals
- Business engagement and canvassing
- Communication and consultation
- BID campaign plans
- BID surveys and analysis
- BID evaluation
- Database management